Many people believe salt is harmful to humans, however, the truth is that we need salt to live! Salt has been vilified by the media and many physicians for causing hypertension and other chronic health disorders. However, according to Dr. Brownstein, author of Salt Your Way to Health, “those criticizing salt have no knowledge of the difference between unrefined and refined salt. It is important to include healthy unrefined salt in your diet and to avoid refined table salt.”
The ratio of minerals that exists in the ocean is the ratio that the body needs. That means that salt brands such as Celtic Sea Salt® are a reliable source for some of the minerals and trace elements necessary for good health. Modern diets do not always provide these nutrients in ample quantities, therefore, use Celtic Sea Salt® as a replacement for common iodized table salt for the nutrient benefits as well as to avoid the problems with iodized salt.
Iodized Salt is sodium that has been isolated, most likely through boiling or washing from the valuable minerals like magnesium, potassium and calcium that it needs to do its job in the body. It is often produced from vacuum evaporation of brine and eleven of the minerals are removed by using chemicals such as sulfuric acid, chlorine and hydrochloric acid. It is then heated to high temperatures of 400 degrees to dry it completely, which changes the molecular structure. Finally, anti-caking agents such as ferrocynide, yellow prussiate of soda, tri-calcium and phosphate are added.
Benefits of Unrefined Salt (excerpted from The Guide to Healthy Eating):
- Alkalinizing agent (raises pH in the body)
- Balances blood sugar
- Helps relax the body for sleep
- Improves brain function
- Prevents muscle cramps
- Prevents varicose veins
- Prevents osteoporosis
- Regulates blood pressure (if adequately hydrated)
- Thins mucous
Ideas on How to Use Unrefined Salt:
- have unrefined salt on hand at home for seasoning and cooking. Try carrying a small package of unrefined salt with you when going to a restaurant.
- buy fresh or frozen foods and season them yourself with unrefined salt instead of using commercially canned foods that often contain unnecessary and unnatural salt and flavorings.
- use after a workout to replenish minerals lost from sweating and to help counter dehydration. Just add ¼ teaspoon to your water and drink.
- pinch of unrefined salt in some water upon waking
- pinch of unrefined salt before bed to help you sleep
- unrefined salt in the water for poaching eggs or on eggs
- unrefined salt in homemade snacks – popcorn, salsa, guacamole, pancakes, muffins, or other recipes
- unrefined salt on salads (keeps salads crisp)
- unrefined salt in soups and broths